RACHEL Q. ZHANG
Department of Industrial Engineering and Decision Analytics
Department of Information Systems, Business Statistics & Operations Management
Clear Water Bay, Kowloon
Tel: (852) 2358-7113
Ph.D. Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences, Northwestern University, 1994
M.S. Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences, Northwestern University, 1992
B.S. Applied Mathematics, Zhengzhou Institute of Technology, China, 1983
EXPERIENCE AND COURSES TAUGHT
Chair Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering and Decision Analytics,
Department of Information Systems, Business Statistics & Operations Management, HKUST: 2018 - present
Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering and Decision Analytics, HKUST: 2010 - present
Department of Information Systems, Business Statistics & Operations Management, HKUST: 2017 - present
Associate Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering and Decision Analytics, HKUST: 2004 - 2010
Assistant Professor, Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell University: 2000 - 2004
Assistant Professor, Department of Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan: 1994 - 2000
1. W. J. Hopp, M. L. Spearman, and R. Q. Zhang, 1997, Easily Implementable Inventory Control Policies, Operations Research, 45(3), 327-340.
2. R. L. Smith and R. Q. Zhang, 1998, Infinite Horizon Production Planning in Time Varying Systems with Convex Production and Inventory Costs, Management Science, 44(9), 1313-1320.
3. M. L. Spearman and R. Q. Zhang, 1999, Optimal Lead Time Policies, Management Science, 45(2), 290-295.
4. J. R. Birge and R. Q. Zhang, 1999, Risk-Neutral Option Methods for Adjusting Constrained Cash Flows, The Engineering Economist, 44(1), 36-49.
5. R. Q. Zhang, 1999, Expected Time Delay in a Multi-item Production-Inventory System with Correlated Demands, Naval Research Logistics, 46, 671-688.
6. W. J. Hopp, R. Q. Zhang, and M. L. Spearman, 1999, An Easily Implementable Hierarchical Heuristic for a Two-Echelon Spare Parts Distribution System, IIE Transactions, 31(10), 977-988.
7. H. Ahn, I. Duenyas, and R. Q. Zhang, 1999, Optimal Stochastic Scheduling of a Two-Stage Tandem Queue with Parallel Servers, Advances in Applied Probability, 31, 1095-1117.
8. M. J. Sobel and R. Q. Zhang, 2001, Inventory Policies for Systems with Stochastic and Deterministic Demand, Operations Research, 49(1) 157-162.
9. R. Q. Zhang, W. J. Hopp, and C. Supatgiat, 2001, Spreadsheet Implementable Inventory Control for a Distribution Center, Journal of Heuristics, 7(2), 185-203.
10. C. Supatgiat, R. Q. Zhang, and J. R. Birge, 2001, Finding Optimal Bidding Strategies and Equilibrium Market Clearing Price in a Competitive Power Exchange Market, Computational Economics, 17(1), 93-121.
11. Enginarlar, E., J. Li, S. M. Meerkov, R. Q. Zhang, 2002, Buffer Capacity for Accommodating Machine Downtime in Serial Production Lines, International Journal of Production Research, 40(3), 601-624.
12. K. Frank, R. Q. Zhang, and I. Duenyas, 2003, Optimal Inventory Policies in Systems with Priority Demand Classes, Operations Research, 51(6), 993-1002.
13. J.A. Buzacott and R. Q. Zhang, 2003, Managing and Modelling Financial Flows and Material Flows, Stochastic Modelling and Optimization of Manufacturing Systems and Supply Chains,
Frederick S. Hillier's International Series in Operations Research & Management Science , G. Shanthikumar, D. Yao and H. Zijm (eds.), Kluwer, Vol. 63, Chapter 14, 375-404.
14. H. Ahn, I. Duenyas and R. Q. Zhang, 2004, Optimal Control of Flexible Servers, Advances in Applied Probability, 36(1), 139-170.
15. R. Kapuscinski, R. Q. Zhang, P. Carbonneau, R. Moore, B. Reeves, 2004, Inventory Decisions in Dell's Supply Chain, Interfaces, 34(3), 191-205.
16. J.A. Buzacott and R. Q. Zhang, 2004, Inventory Management with Asset-Based Financing, Management Science, 50(9), 1274-1292.
17. R. Chen, R. Roundy, R. Q. Zhang and G. Janakiraman, 2005, Efficient Auction Mechanisms for Supply Chain Procurement, Management Science, 51(3), 467-482.
18. K. Zhu, R. Q. Zhang and F. Tsung, 2007, Pushing Quality Improvement along Supply Chains, Management Science, 53(3), 421-436.
19. V. S. Zhou, P. L. Jackson, R. O. Roundy and R. Q. Zhang, 2007, The Evolution of Family Level Sales Forecasts into Product Level Forecasts, IIE Transactions, 39, 831-843.
20. K. Frank, H.Ahn, R. Q. Zhang, 2009, Inventory Policies in Multi-item Systems with Different Life Cycles? Naval Research Logistics, 56, 127-141.
21. A. Sapra, V.Truong, and R.Q. Zhang, 2010, How Much Demand Should Be Fulfilled? Operations Research, 58, 719-733.
22. J. Zhang, J. Hong and R.Q. Zhang, 2012, Fighting Strategies in a Market with Counterfeits, Annals of Operations Research, 192, 49-66.
23. J. Zhang and R.Q. Zhang, 2014, Optimal Replenishment and Pricing Decisions under the Collect-on-Delivery Payment Scheme, The OR Spectrum, 36(2), 503-524.
24. J. Zhang and R.Q. Zhang, 2015, Supply Chain Structure in a Market with Deceptive Counterfeits, European Journal of Operations Research, 240, 84-97.
25. L. Li and R.Q. Zhang, 2015, Cooperation through Capacity Sharing between Competing Forwarders, Transportation Research, part E., 75, 115-131.
26. G. Chen, L. Robinson, R. Roundy and R.Q. Zhang, 2015, New Sufficient Conditions for (s, S) Policies to be Optimal in Systems with Multiple Uncertainties, Operations Research, 63(1), 186-197.
27. S. Wu, Q. Liu, and R.Q. Zhang, 2015, The Reference Effects on a Retailer’s Dynamic Pricing and Inventory Strategies with Strategic Consumers, Operations Research, 63(6), 1320-1335.
28. F. X. Yang, R.Q. Zhang and K. Zhu, 2016, Should Purchasing Activities be Outsourced along with Production?, European Journal of Operations Research, 257(2), 468-482.
29. S. Wu, J. Zhang and R.Q. Zhang, “Management of a Shared Spectrum Network in Wireless Communications”, Operations Research, 66(4) 1119-1135.
30. Z. Xu, J. Zhang and R.Q. Zhang, “Instantaneous Control of Brownian Motion with a Positive Lead Time”. To appear in Mathematics of Operations Research.