The MPhil degree normally requires two years of full-time study after completion of a bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related area. The MPhil focuses on strengthening students’ knowledge in their chosen area of concentration, and training for engineering research and development. The program is highly suited to individuals who aspire to take a leading technical role in Hong Kong’s high value-added business organizations.
MPhil students are supervised by a Department faculty member. Any student who intends to go on to study a PhD degree is strongly encouraged to enroll in the MPhil program.
Students are required to complete a minimum of 15 credits of approved postgraduate coursework, with at least 9 credits at 5000-level or above IEDA courses subject to the approval of the supervisor.
They must also:
- take and pass PDEV 6800 Introduction to Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- take and pass PDEV 6770 Professional Development for Research Postgraduate Students
- take and pass ENGG 6780 Career Development for Engineering Research Students
- participate in the departmental seminar series (IEDA 6800) for at least two semesters
- pass the one-credit LANG 5001 Postgraduate English for Engineering Research Studies course, though credit earned from LANG 5001 cannot be counted toward degree requirements. Students can be exempted from taking LANG 5001 with the approval of the Department Head and Postgraduate Coordinator, based on students’ background and/or the HKUST Language Center’s English proficiency assessment
- take and pass IEDA 6800 Departmental Seminar for at least two semesters during their residency
- If a student participates in an industrial-sponsored project and writes his/her thesis on a work-related topic, the thesis may be jointly supervised by a qualified faculty member at HKUST and an invited adjunct faculty member from industry, who is highly familiar with the student's research work.