Hong Kong is rapidly transforming into a knowledge-based economy. In response to both industry and society requirements, we offer a new UG Program on Decision Analytics, positioning our graduates in the high impact jobs in forward looking companies. The program places a great emphasis in predictive and prescriptive analytical tools, statistical models, machine learning algorithms, simulation, and creative modeling – which make it more in line with the modern economy. Building upon this foundation of techniques, students will be equipped with domain specific knowledge in areas of Financial Engineering or Consulting Services, including risk-management, supply and demand analytics, e-commerce, revenue optimization, health-care analytics, and even sports analytics.
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering to problems in industrial engineering and decision analytics
- An ability to analyze, visualize and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component or process with respect to desired objectives and constraints, such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- An ability to understand professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- An ability to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context, especially the importance of health, safety and environmental considerations
- An ability to stay abreast of contemporary issues
- An ability to recognize the need for, and to engage in life-long learning
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for solving data driven decision-making problems
- An ability to design and use the computer/IT tools to solve problems in industrial engineering and decision analytics
Undergraduate Program Educational Objectives of IEDA Department
- To equip and develop students’ managerial and technical skills as well as gain a broad foundation in the areas of industrial engineering and engineering management
- To equip students with problem solving skills to improve the productivity of a business
- To equip students with the IT skills to analyze and manage information efficiently for a business operation
- To equip students with ability to conduct product and/or service development from design to market with special emphasis on the people aspects of idea generation, logistics, quality and safety management
- To educate our students to meet the ABET criteria* 3f-3j outcomes via department, school and university level programs.
- Students - To give all students, undergraduate and postgraduate alike, a broadly based university experience that includes: superior training in their chosen fields of study; a well-rounded education that enhances the development of their creativity, critical thinking, global outlook, and cultural awareness; a campus life that prepares them to be community leaders and lifelong learners
- Faculty and Staff - To provide a dynamic and supportive working environment in which faculty and staff may continually develop intellectually and professionally
- Research - To be a leading institution for research and postgraduate study, pursuing knowledge in both fundamental and applied areas, and collaborating closely with business and industry in promoting technological innovation and economic development
- Campus Culture- To provide an open environment and atmosphere conducive to the exchange of knowledge, views, and innovative ideas among students, faculty, staff, and visiting scholars
- Commitment to Hong Kong- To promote and assist in Hong Kong's economic and social development, and to enrich Hong Kong's culture
BEng in DA is accredited by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE), enabling graduates to become professional engineers recognized internationally.
Graduates from this program will possess strong analytical skills as well as the ability to develop algorithms, simulation models and process and system innovations to provide optimal or near-optimal solution to important decision problems in specific domains in financial industries and service operations, driven by real-world data. They are managers, engineers, consultants and analysts who take up supervisory and managerial roles in various industries including:
Students may also continue their studies for Master of Science (MSc), Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees in local and overseas universities.
Under the 4-year program, applicants are first admitted to the School of Engineering via school-based admission. Students may later declare their major in BEng in Decision Analytics.